Adventures of a Learner Knitter

Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Green Monster

So, I did finish “the green beast” (as I’ve renamed my garter stitch monster) on Sunday at the end of the Olympics, and I’m pretty sure I did it before the Olympic flame went out. Which I think is pretty good – good enough, in fact, to win the medal! Sadly, I haven’t figured out yet how to post the medal in the sidebar, but… here it is in the body of the text.


Now for the pictures. Here is the back of the green beast, quickly knit up that first weekend of the Olympics.



Here is the front, eventually knit up (slowly and painfully) over the course of the next week and a half.



No finished photo yet, but I’ll be sure to borrow a digital camera and post one soon! The seams are… well, the seams are bad. In fact, I haven’t worn the sweater in public yet because of the seams. They truly are hideous. I think I might re-do them. But I need to know how to seam very loose garter stitch properly before I do that – any ideas to help? I also noticed that when I steam blocked the sweater, the seams looked better. Any thoughts on whether or not full immersion blocking would help even more? I do love the cowl neck though (not shown), so I don't want to get rid of the sweater altogether (plus, it's my first ever sweater!).

Also, here is the lovely red scarf (for a mystery recipient – who I’m totally sure isn’t reading this blog, but I won’t post their name anyways) that distracted me from my Olympic knitting, and is now almost finished as well. It's ribbing, and was originally meant to be Wavy, from knitty, but the waves didn't show up, so I just stuck to plain ribbing.

So now, my current WIPs are:
- the red scarf
- the hat for Rob who has an absolutely ginormous head (no, really, he does)
- the summer hat (for me, not started yet)

Hopefully, soon to be on that list, will be either (or possibly both depending on my ability to resist the call of the yarn) the Branching Out scarf from knitty, or a hooded sweater. Currently the lace scarf is appealing more, since it makes me think of spring, which I am hoping will soon be here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home