Adventures of a Learner Knitter

Friday, March 24, 2006

The little subway sock that could...

So I've been working on a sock for a while now. To be precise, about a month and a half. Progress is slow. Very slow. There are now 2 inches of ribbing, and about 1 inch of stockinette stitch to said sock. I think the problem has many levels to it:
a) I only knit the sock on the subway. When I'm reading a good book, it comes instead of the sock. Since I read many books, this is not good for the sock.
b) I really, really don't like ribbing. This is no longer a problem, but it was really holding me back before.
c) I'm pretty worried about turning the heel. That's where all the hard part comes in.

You'll notice that I've only committed to making one sock (so far). I figure *if* I finish it and *if* it fits (me or anyone else who likes it), then the time will come to think about making the other one.

In other news, I'm 9 pattern repeats into the branching out scarf. It's still lovely, and I've discovered that I knit it while I "watch" tv, as long as the tv I'm watching is the special features from the Lord of the Rings, because I don't really watch those so much as I listen, and look up when it's important. But, there are still about 28 more pattern repeats to go... so far so good.

I've also started a new scarf for myself, since the one I usually wear will be too bulky for spring. I'm making it out of the same boucle yarn as my existing scarf, but it's not blue... it's pink! Sort of a dusty pink, but for a girl who owns almost exclusively blue yarn, this is a big deal. I bought enough to make a hat and mitts too, but I feel that by the time I finish the scarf, I won't be needing hats and mitts any more (plus, the needles I'd need currently have branching out on them... and it won't be done for a while!). Also bad for the little subway sock - I brought the scarf on the subway with me today...

1 Comments:

  • Pink! Hooray! Welcome to the dark side. ;oP

    You're a busy little bee with the knitting these days! That's it, I'm digging out my Branching Out tonight.

    I bought the new Interweave Knits yesterday. Remind me and I'll bring it next weekend so we can drool together.

    By Blogger Nikki, at 6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home