Adventures of a Learner Knitter

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Sock-cess!

Great knitterly progress has been made - I took my subway sock with me when I went out for dinner with my friends Justine, Tara and Rob (who received and liked his hat - dark blue, light blue, and brown, and huge), and after dinner Justine taught Tara to knit (with my encouragement and support!) and we watched a movie, so I got lots of progress done on my sock. In fact, I'm now at the point to start making the heel. The problem is that I read the instructions in the pattern, and it says to use 15 stitches to make the heel flap, and set aside 30 for the instep. Only problem? I have 60 stitches. Was I supposed to have knit two together for a bit or something? Is there something wrong with the pattern? Is there something else I was supposed to do with the other 15 stitches? What's going on?

Other than that, Justine started a lovely feather and fan lace knitting scarf a couple of days ago in a beautiful mohair blend yarn. As it turns out, the first skein worth of knitting was a bit wonky, so we decided to frog that part. Justine undid the cast on and started frogging back. It did not go well. I know you can frog regular knitting backwards, but apparently that doesn't work so well with lace knitting. I ended up taking it apart at the join of the first and second skeins and frogging back from there. Thank goodness it worked! Now the scarf will be lovely and not wonky!

My pink scarf is going well - it's almost a foot long now. I think the fun colour is actually helping me to knit faster - I'm sort of hoping to have it done in a week for when Nikki and I go to Romni Wools! I'm so excited!

1 Comments:

  • Oooh, can't wait to see your scarf!

    The sock has me stumped. Where is the pattern from? 15 stitches seems like a small heel flap to me.

    By Blogger Nikki, at 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home