Adventures of a Learner Knitter

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

In which our intrepid knitter learns to cable.

So this weekend I taught myself how to make cables. Not difficult, you say? Perhaps not, but when you don't read any special instructions, it's a bit complicated. I had a stitch pattern to go from, and it just said to put the stitches on the cable needle, put it at the back, knit 3 more stitches, and then knit the 3 off the cable needle. Of course, nowhere did it mention to knit the 3 stitches off the *other end* of the cable needle. I'm not quite sure why I thought it was pointy at both ends but... Anyhow, it doesn't work very well to knit of the same side as you put the stitches onto.

The good news is that it only took me 1 try to figure this out. Then I made two more successful cables one way and another one the other way (the earlier cables are at the bottom of the picture).


In other news, I'm trying to sew (I typed "make" before and then I realized some might think I was knitting these things, which I'm totally not - who knits outfits for summer wedding?) a skirt and top to wear to the various weddings I'm attending this summer. The first attempt at the skirt was thoroughly unsuccessful, but we got a new pattern last week and this weekend I got part way through making a new skirt. So now the exciting deadline is whether or not I will finish the outfit in time to wear it to the first wedding I have to attend, which is on April 23rd. Only 12 days left!

1 Comments:

  • Oh my gosh...is that why it has two points?! I'm clearly a dork, because I *have* knit cables before and I've never twisted it....I'm an idiot!

    By Blogger Nikki, at 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home