Adventures of a Learner Knitter

Friday, April 21, 2006

Lots of knitting, very little posting

So, since the last time I posted, I finished knitting my version of the Booga Bag. The differences from the "real" pattern? I'm not using the beautiful handpainted Noro Kureyon, but two shades of (surprise!) blue, which I've arranged in stripes from being mostly dark to mostly light. The i-cord for the handles was a challenge. The pattern says to make at least 5-6 feet, but I want significantly longer straps, so I now have... 12 feet of i-cord to felt to make the straps. Crazy, eh? I haven't actually felted it yet (due to not being at my apartment for long enough when the laundry room was open), but hopefully I'll be able to do it soon, and then I'll post some pictures.

I also went shopping with my brother for yarn for his requested Manly Sweater from Stitch 'n Bitch. We picked the Patons Classic Wool (same as I used for the Booga Bag, actually) in exciting grey, white and... BLUE! Mostly grey and blue with a bit of white. We got the yarn last Saturday, and less than a week later I'm more than halfway done the back. I'm not sure if I'm going to post photos of this though, since it is meant to be his Christmas present (see how I'm ahead of the game here? Totally on the ball...). Incidentally, I think I'm in love with this wool. It's a teeny bit scratchy, but it totally doesn't make my wrists hurt, plus, I have some awesome new straight bamboo needles for this project, and I'm loving them! Maybe I can make Rogue with this wool...


I felt so knitterly when I took my Branching Out with me on the subway yesterday. It's so light and portable - what could be better? And then on my way home, I saw it. A big honkin' mistake. I'm pretty sure I missed out a whole pattern row (not in the subway knitting, it's way too long ago for that). I think it's about 1 1/2 pattern repeats ahead of where I am now. Knowing me, I have to fix it. There is no way around it. Type-A knitter that I am, it has to be fixed. Plus, if I didn't fix it, when I work the scarf I would be forever pointing out the mistake to people rather than hiding it like a normal person. There is something about the idea of tinking back 15 rows that makes me want to poke my eyes out with DPNs. How do I figure out what row I was on anyways? Do I just rip it back the whole way and pick up the stitches, or do I slowly, slowly, slowly tink my way back? I'm for sure not going to be doing this for a while, since it will demand full concentration. Rats!

Anyhow, I'd better get back to work. I'm going out tonight with my friend Mary, who just finished her degree (yay!) and my friend Justine, who just finished her exams for the HR program she's taking. I'm quite excited, and right now I have the attention span of a 2-year old. Not an asset when trying to work on a computer. Only half an hour til the weekend!

2 Comments:

  • and ... the weekend is over! back to work!

    By Blogger Mo, at 9:44 PM  

  • Yeesh. Tough call. I think I'd tink, because I would be afraid of not finding all the stitches to pick up. And that way you can count rows backwards and figure out where you are. But duuuude, that sucks. :(

    Rogue! I was just thinking today that I would really like to make a rogue! Maybe we can have our own KAL. ;o)

    By Blogger Nikki, at 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home